jueves, 5 de marzo de 2015

Poetry time!

For those of you in my 4B class today, Irene and I told you about the importance of pronunciation. If you want to see this in a fun way, you should read the following poem. If you remember, I studied English Literature at university and I really like poetry, so I thought I would share this with you. It's a poem which talks about all the annoying words in English that look similar but are pronounced very differently, or words that you think should be pronounced one way, and then you realise actually they're pronounced completely the opposite! There are many words in this poem that even native English speakers get wrong all the time, or don't know the meaning of, so don't worry, it's just a bit of fun!

I'll put the start of the poem below, but if you click on the link it will take you to a full version of the poem, where you can also hear it being read out loud.

Click HERE to read the full version

The Chaos
Dearest creature in creation
Studying English pronunciation, 
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse 
I will keep you, Susy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy. 
Tear in eye your dress you'll tear,
So shall I! Oh, hear my prayer, 
Pray, console your loving poet,
Make my coat look new, dear, sew it! 
Just compare heart, beard and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word, 
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written). 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario